While the 2015 triathlon season has officially started, the weather still has us training mostly indoors. Focusing on specific trainer sessions can really help boost your 2015 season by increasing strength, efficiency, endurance and power on the bike. Completing your bike sessions on the trainer provides a highly controlled and quality environment that you can’t obtain while training outdoors.
Throughout the next six weeks we will provide you with a high quality bike trainer workout that is geared towards getting you prepped and ready for that Half Ironman or Ironman race.
For this week’s trainer session we are going to be focusing on nailing down form and efficiency while including some moderate intervals.
High Cadence Session with Increased Intensity
Total Duration: 1:15
Warm Up 16 min
- 5:00 Keep cadence above 90 rpm
- 5:00 Alternate :30 standing RPE 10, :30 seated RPE 6
- 6:00 Seated, alternate 80% of workload between 1:00 on right leg, 1:00 on left leg
- 5:00 Recovery Interval in between sets
- 3:00 Zone 4/RPE 15-16/ CP60: Hold cadence at 100 rpm
- 2:00 Zone1/RPE 6: Hold cadence at 80 rpm
- 1:00 Zone 2/RPE 10-12/CP180: Maintain 110-120 rpm
Cool Down 10-15 min
- Gradually decreasing resistance and cadence.
Heart Rate Chart
Mackenzie Madison is a professional triathlete and coach with multiple podium finishes at Ironman and Half Ironman races. Mackenzie has been competing in triathlon for over 16 years and coaching for over 8 years. Mackenzie also races as an elite cyclist and ran Division I Cross Country and Track during her undergraduate at Iowa State University. She has her Masters in Exercise Physiology from the University of Oregon in Eugene where she currently resides. Mackenzie coaches athletes who want professional guidance while taking their racing to the next level. Mackenzie has coached everyone from Junior elites, to masters to Nike professional runners and loves it. To learn more about Mackenzie or being coached by Mackenzie visit www.kenzmadison.com.