March marks my 25th year of running in Sacramento! In 1990 my junior high school started a track team and I could have been happier. My 8th grade softball season was about two weeks in and the only thing I had going for me was I was good at hustling and had good speed. Those skills can only take you so far if you can’t hit, catch or throw.
My first season I competed in the mile, the 100, long jump and the 4×100 – in the same meet week after week. It was painful but I loved it! One of my mom’s friends told my mom not to worry that once I discovered boys I would stop running. My mom told her that she clearly did not know me very well! Even at 14 years old my mom knew that this was just the beginning of a long running career.
Like anything, my running career has had it ups and downs. Although I have taken breaks from competition over the past 25 years I have never stopped running and I am very thankful for that. Through running I have met some amazing friends. I do not keep in touch with all of them anymore. But for those periods of time when they were around, they were some of the most important people in my lives. I am grateful for all the support and wonderful memories they have given me over the years.
As I celebrate my 25th running anniversary I am also closing off my last year as an open runner. I am looking forward to 25 more years of running and a fast-approaching Master’s career!
- Events I have competed in on the track since 1990: 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, mile, 1500, 3000m, 5000m ,100 hurdles, long jump, high jump, 4×100 relay, and the 4x400m relay.
- Favorite event: Then – 400 meters, 4×400 meter relay; Now- 1500m
- Least Favorite: Then- Cross Country; Now- 10k
- Running Shoes: Then – Pink and grey Saucony’s from Roseville Fleet Feet. Now- Salming Distance Trainers
- Pre-race Food: On meet days I would eat Nacho Bell Grande from Taco Bell in 1993 and Olive Garden lasagna in 1994.
- Teams I have run for: St. Ignatius, Oak Ridge High School, Sacramento State, Running Zone/Mizuno, Rocklin Running and Racing, Sacramento Running Association, Freeplay Tri Team
- In high school I never ran over 20 miles a week.
1990: St. Ignatius; 1990-1994 Oak Ridge High School; 1994-1999 Sacramento State University; 2006-2013 Triathlon Focused Competition, 2013-Present SRA Elite; Freeplay Tri