Building up for a Half Marathon: Week 2
This week we will focus on taping into some speed with a progressive ladder interval set. This workout runs through a variety of running speeds while opening up the legs for future week interval sessions.
- Complete 10-15 min warm up
- 2 mile tempo run, negative split starting half marathon pace down to 10k pace
- 5 min easy jog
- 2×1 mile repeats at 10k race pace
- 3-4 min easy jog between each mile
- 2x800m at 5k race pace
- 3-4 min easy jog between each half
- 2x400m at mile race pace
- 3-4 min easy jog between each 400
- 2x200m controlled, smooth sprint with good stride and form
- 1-2 min easy jog between each 200
- 10+ min easy endurance jog cool down
Check back next Tuesday for Key session # 3. Click here to review the full series.
Mackenzie Madison is a professional triathlete and coach with multiple podium finishes at Ironman and Half Ironman races. Mackenzie has been competing in triathlon for over 16 years and coaching for over 8 years. Mackenzie also races as an elite cyclist and ran Division I Cross Country and Track during her undergraduate at Iowa State University. She has her Masters in Exercise Physiology from the University of Oregon in Eugene where she currently resides. Mackenzie coaches athletes who want professional guidance while taking their racing to the next level. Mackenzie has coached everyone from Junior elites, to masters to Nike professional runners and loves it. To learn more about Mackenzie visit www.kenzmadison.com.